Dream-time wholesale nursery is an accredited nursery of the Nursery & Garden Industry of Australia.
Dream-time is very proud of its accomplishments such as winning the best state production nursery awards four times and National winner twice.
Dream-time mandate is to strive to be a market leader in all aspects of the nursery industry and has had a long term goal in being at the forefront of environmental sustainability.
Dream-time has successfully implemented the following guidelines for their Management of the environment.
In implementing the following Dream-time had to set Environmental targets and define guidelines and analysis legislative trends.
The facility is almost self sustaining Dream-time nurseries water efficient Irrigation is controlled by a weather station that only irrigates to crops that require water if any after rain fall. All growing areas are lined to catch all water from rain fall and irrigation water that is not used is recycled and treated before it is use again.
A risk assessment check list incorporating water management guide lines, Pest control management, state and government environmental regulations, neighbouring properties and public roads, land and soil management, Emergency response strategies, Efficient energy use, spread of exotic and other organisms, spread of weeds and weed seed, Managing waste, Managing air, noise and odour pollution, Fuel storage, Pesticide storage use and disposal, recycling, water use and waste water management, erosion control and sediment trapping, nutrient management and staff training.
General Site Management (Identify & Map)
- Growing areas, structures and roads.
- Chemical storage, mixing and wash-down.
- Irrigation and drainage lines.
- Neighbouring properties, roads, sensitive natural areas (lakes and vegetation).
- Review State and government environmental regulations.
- Water storage facility, pumps, and water courses wetlands.
- Fertilizer, growing media mixing areas.
- Drains have sufficient capacity to allow water movement freely.
- Runoff water does not discharge from growing area.
- Barriers are in place that water used in the nursery does not come into contact with soil.
- Collected runoff water is monitored for PH, Nitrates, Phosphates and Electrical conductivity and recorded.
- Waste water if released is adequately managed and treated before discharge though sediment traps and wet lands.
- Are in place to match use to crop.
- Growing media water porosity, water retention and nitrogen drawdown are within an expectable levels.
- Secure storage of fertilizers and media are in place as not to get into waterways.
- Growing media and fertilizers are selected to minimise nutrient loss.
Erosion Control & Trapping of Sediment
- There is no erosion within the production areas.
- Sediment traps are installed, cultivation is minimal, and erosion strategies are in place for slopes and grass vegetation.
- Vehicle movements off roads are minimised.
- Grated pits and bins are in place for trash and not to allow entry into the water ways.
Land & Soil Management
- Soil salinity, sodality and acidity are managed.
- There is no soil degradation or water table interference due to the facility construction.
- There is no erosion from water or wind in the facility.
Water Use & efficiency.
- Irrigation is controlled by a weather station and only irrigates to crops that require water.
- Facility is almost self sustaining all growing areas are lined to catch all water from rain fall and irrigation that is not used.
- All water is recycled and treated before use again.
- All State and government water licensing regulations are adhered to.
- Irrigation system parameters are tested, monitored and water use and rainfall is recorded.
- All water quality meets acceptable standards free of pathogens and disease.
Pesticides Use, Storage & Disposal
- Spraying is keep to a minimum and only conducted in suitable weather conditions.
- Spraying is only done be accredited operator ( CemCert Course)
- Chemicals are only mixed in prescribed area where safety data sheets, spill kit and first aid are available and stored in locked ventilated steel box with spill protection.
- Chemicals used are environmentally friendly where possible and do not harm useful insect life and organisms.
- Chemicals are not used more than once in concession.
- All chemicals are disposed off site by registered collection agency.
- Chemicals do not have contact with any water ways.
Storage & Fuel Use
- Fuel storage is of a need to use supply and government storage requirements are meet. Efficient energy use.
- Energy efficient equipment has been selected and in use at the facility.
- All equipment is well maintained and records are kept.
- Electricity and fuel is monitored and reviewed regularly.
Managing Air, Noise & Odour Pollution
- No harmful offensive odours are released from the facility.
- Buffer zone hedging is in place to reduce wind and noise.
- No dust is generated from facility.
- All equipment is well maintained for minimal noise.
- All waste is recycled to local collection depots or donated.
- All waste has been identified and minimised.
Managing Native Vegetation, Animals & Ecosystems
- All remnant native vegetation are managed to protect and enhance native plants and wild life.
- Feral animals are controlled on site.
- Noxious weeds and plants are not propagated at the facility.
- Strategies are in place to prevent the spread of exotic pest species.
Spread of Weeds, Weed Seeds & Exotic Organisms
- A regular site weed management program is in place.
- Monitoring is conducted on vegetation for pest presence.
- Raw material is only sourced from accredited suppliers.
- Detailed strategies and OH&S are in place.
- Staff training is conducted on site regularly and off site when available in regard to our environmental policies.
View of the nursery showing facility and water storage.
Weather station control on top of hill monitors and controls.
High flow automatic filtration and pumping facility.
Ommi valves control provides an even flow of water to plants individually.
Irrigation system provided an exact amount of water to this crop of trees.
Water collected thru screening onto plastic mat and returned thru underground drainage.
Screening hedge between neibours limits wind and sound.
Trees in containers are individually irrigated and monitored for exact watering needs.
Potting facility is clean and organised, potting media is covered in concrete bunker.
Growing bays are plastic lined to collect water and return without contact with soil back to dam.
Click here to download our latest stock availability list.
To subscribe to our monthly updates program, please fill out your details below.